March 24, 2012
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Sophomore Leonie-Charlotte Athanasiadis won both her singles and doubles match, as the Boston University women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to Binghamton on Saturday afternoon.
Improving to 5-8, the Bearcats lost the doubles point but rebounded by capturing five of the six singles points. The Terriers (5-7) went to a third set in three of the contests but came up short in each of them.
Ranked 67th in the nation, the doubles pair of Athanasiadis and junior Jessi Linero pulled out an 8-5 victory at the top spot. Junior Vivien Laszloffy and senior Stefanie Nunic clinched the doubles point at No. 2 with an 8-5 win.
Named America East Player of the Week back on Tuesday, Athanasiadis easily dispatched Jennifer Fridman, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 2 slot to lead BU in singles.
Laszloffy rallied from a set down at No. 1 but lost in a marathon match to Jillian Santos, 6-2, 4-6, 7-6(3). Freshman Sami Lieb and senior Monika Mical were also unable to pull out their respective third set in tightly played contests.
The Terriers will next face No. 47 Syracuse on Sunday (March 25) at 9 a.m.
Binghamton - 5, Boston University - 2
1) Santos (BING) def. Vivien Laszloffy (BU): 6-2, 4-6, 7-6(3)
2) Leonie-Charlotte Athanasiadis (BU) def. Fridman (BING): 6-3, 6-2
3) Hollander (BING) def. Jessi Linero (BU): 7-6(7), 6-3
4) Bykovskaya (BING) def. Sami Lieb (BU): 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
5) Medianik (BING) def. Monika Mical (BU): 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
6) Leibowicz (BING) def. Amelia Martinez (BU): 6-2, 7-5
Singles order of finish: 2,6,3,5,4*,1
1) #67 Linero/Athanasiodis (BU) def. Bykovskaya/Fridman (BING): 8-5
2) Stefanie Nunic / Laszloffy (BU) def. Santos/Hollander (BING): 8-5
3) Leibowicz/Medianik (BING) def. Lieb/Mical (BU): 8-4
Doubles order of finish: 3,2,1*