March 13, 2014
BOCA RATON, Fla. - After claiming a one-point victory earlier in the week, the Boston University women's tennis team dropped a hard-fought 4-3 decision to Troy on Thursday afternoon. The Trojans (7-6) pulled out the critical doubles point and won the top three singles matches, as the Terriers fell to 6-6.
BU won the first doubles match with ease at No. 2 behind sophomore Johanna Hyoty and senior Leonie-Charlotte Athanasiadis posting an 8-1 victory. Sophomores Kim McCallum and Madison Craft came up just short at No. 3 in an 8-6 loss, leaving the doubles point up in the air at No. 1.
Sophomore Lauren Davis and freshman Barbara Rodriguez were ahead, 6-2, but Anja Cosovic and Trang Huynh rallied for the 8-7(2) win.
The Terriers momentarily grabbed a 2-1 advantage behind two singles wins. Rodriguez (#4) dropped just one game, while junior Sami Lieb(#5) earned a 6-4, 6-3 victory.
However, Troy captured the top three singles points in straight sets for the team win. Just as the result was decided, McCallum won the second-set tiebreaker for BU's third and final point, 6-4, 7-6.
The Terriers will conclude their spring break trip at Florida International on Saturday (March 15) at 12 p.m.
Troy - 4, Boston University - 3
1. Trang Huynh (TROY) def. Johanna Hyoty (BU): 6-3, 6-4
2. Lyubov Dorofeeva (TROY) def. Lauren Davis (BU): 6-1, 6-4
3. Anja Cosovic (TROY) def. L. Athanasiadis (BU): 6-2, 6-3
4. Barbara Rodriguez (BU) def. Monica Gonzalez (TROY): 6-1, 6-0
5. Sami Lieb (BU) def. Margot de Haan (TROY): 6-4, 6-3
6. Kim McCallum (BU) def. Brooke Durden (TROY): 6-4, 7-6
1. Cosovic/Huynh (TROY) def. Davis/Rodriguez (BU): 8-7(2)
2. Hyoty/Athanasiadis (BU) def. Gonzalez/de Haan (TROY): 8-1
3. Dorofeeva/Durden (TROY) def. McCallum / Madison Craft