Sept. 20, 2013
CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - Competing on the grass courts of the Longwood Cricket Club, site of the first-ever Davis Cup competition, the Boston University men's tennis team dropped a 7-6 decision to Connecticut Friday afternoon.
Due to the opportunity of playing at a renowned club (opened in 1877) that served as host of the U.S. Pro Tennis Championships from 1964-1999, the squads had four doubles teams instead of the standard three and nine singles players instead of six participate in the competition. Several of the Terriers and Huskies played on grass for the first time in their tennis careers.
Both senior Jesse Frieder and freshman Lucas Bombonatti went undefeated to lead the Terriers (0-1), as the Huskies improved to 2-0 in season after winning both of the three-set singles matches.
The teams split in doubles to head into the singles competition at 2-2. Frieder and junior Emilio Teran claimed an 8-3 win in the No. 2 slot, while Bombonatti and classmate Jake De Vries pulled out an 8-6 victory at No. 3.
Frieder carried the momentum from the doubles performance with a dominating 6-2, 6-1 victory at No. 3 singles. Freshman Mario Sandoval was also strong at No. 7 with a 6-3, 6-0 victory, while fellow freshman Jay Leelavanich went 6-2, 6-3 at No. 8 singles.
Bombonatti won the fourth singles point for BU with a hard-fought 6-4, 6-4 decision in the No. 4 slot.
The Terriers had their opportunities to pull out a team victory but came up just short. Junior Emilio Teran rallied from a set down to force a third but fell in tie breaker for a 6-3, 4-6, 7-6(5) defeat at No. 5.
In the No. 1 singles match, senior Chanon Varapongsittikul battled back and forth with Wayne Harrell in a thrilling contest that finished nearly an hour after every other match was completed. Harrell earned the final break point to claim a 6-7(4), 7-6(4), 7-5 victory.
BU will next compete at the UConn Invitational on Sept. 27-29.
UConn - 7, Boston U. - 6
at Longwood Cricket Club (Chestnut Hill, Mass.)
1. Wayne Harrell (UConn) def. Chanon Varapongsittikul (BU): 6-7(4), 7-6(4), 7-5
2. Chris Toner (UConn) def. Stefan Lemire (BU): 6-4, 6-1
3. Jesse Frieder (BU) def. Ryan Carr (UConn): 6-2, 6-1
4. Lucas Bombonatti (BU) def. Andrew Ginzberg (UConn): 6-4, 6-4
5. Parker Goldstein (UConn) def. Emilio Teran (BU): 6-3, 4-6, 7-6(5)
6. Zac McEntee (UConn) def. Jake De Vries (BU): 6-4, 6-3
7. Mario Sandoval (BU) def. Mark HoSang (UConn): 6-3, 6-0
8. Jay Leelavanich (BU) def. Parker Cohen (UConn): 6-2, 6-3
9. Josh Palmer (UConn) def. Brandon Phan (BU): 6-0, 6-3
1. Harrell/Carr (UConn) def. Varapongsittikul/Lemire (BU): 8-3
2. Frieder/Teran (BU) def. Toner/Cohen (UConn): 8-3
3. Bombonatti/De Vries (BU) def. Palmer/HoSang (UConn): 8-6
4. Ginzberg/Goldstein (UConn) def. Sandoval/Leelavanich (BU): 8-4