April 25, 2014
WEST POINT, N.Y. -
In a match-up of Patriot League newcomers, the No. 2 Boston University men's tennis team rolled past No. 7 Loyola Maryland, 4-0, in the conference quarterfinals on Friday afternoon at Army's Malek Tennis Courts.
BU won the first two doubles matches to grab a 1-0 lead and then claimed three singles points in straight sets to improve to 9-9. With the loss, the Greyhounds end their season at 12-9-1.
Freshman Jay Leelavanich led the Terriers with a win in both singles and doubles. He first teamed with classmate Jake De Vries for an 8-3 win at No. 3 doubles and then posted a 6-3, 6-4 victory in the No. 6 singles slot.
Seniors Chanon Varapongsittikul and Jesse Frieder put BU ahead, 1-0, with an 8-3 win at No. 3 doubles.
Freshmen Mario Sandoval (#4) and Lucas Bombonatti (#5) added the other two singles points to help the Terriers reach the Patriot League semifinals.
BU will next face either No. 3 Navy or No. 6 Bucknell on Saturday at 2 p.m.
Boston University - 4, Loyola Maryland - 0
Apr 25, 2014 at West Point, N.Y. (Malek Tennis Courts)
1. Chanon Varapongsittikul (BU) led Connor Pietrak (LOYOLA) 6-0, 4-3, unfinished
2. Harrison Kunkel (LOYOLA) led Jesse Frieder (BU): 6-5, unfinished
3. Stefan Lemire (BU) vs. Connor Lisco (LOYOLA): 6-4, 1-2, unfinished
4. Mario Sandoval (BU) def. Greg Olesnkycky (LOYOLA): 6-2, 6-3
5. Lucas Bombonatti (BU) def. Jordan Kuchtha (LOYOLA): 6-3, 6-0
6. Jay Leelavanich (BU) def. Alex Castro (LOYOLA): 6-3, 6-4
1. Varapongsittikul/Frieder (BU) def. Harrison Kunkel/Connor Lisco (LOYOLA): 8-3
2. Lemire/Sandoval (BU) led Greg Olesnkycky/Jordan Kuchtha (LOYOLA): 6-5, unfinished
3. Leelavanich / Jake De Vries
(BU) def. Connor Pietrak/Alex Castro (LOYOLA): 8-3