April 19, 2014
ALLSTON, Mass. - Competing in the final tune-up before the Patriot League tournament, the Boston University men's tennis team dropped a hard-fought 5-2 decision to Army at Harvard's Beren Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon.
With the loss, the Terriers end the regular season at 8-9 and 4-1 in conference action, while the Black Knights improve to 17-5 (7-0 PL). Already tabbed the host for next week's tournament, Army will now enter the competition as the top seed.
BU had its chances to claim the No. 1 seed but came up just short in two key instances. The Black Knights won the No. 3 doubles tiebreaker for the 1-0 lead and pulled out another tiebreaker at No. 5 singles to seal the victory.
Seniors Chanon Varapongsittikul and Jesse Frieder won the No. 1 doubles match, 8-4, and Army won the No. 2 contest, 8-1, to put the doubles point up for grab. Freshmen Jay Leelavanich and Jake De Vries went back and forth with Army's No. 3 duo in an 8-7(1) loss.
The Black Knights earned straight-set victories against Varapongsittikul (#1), Frieder (#2) and freshman Mario Sandoval (#4) to clinch the team victory. Sophomore Stefan Lemire and freshman Lucas Bombonatti(#6) led the Terriers with straight set victories.
Leelavanich had five match points at No. 5, but Army's Kyle Barnes came back for the 3-6, 7-6(3), 11-9 win.
The Terriers will next set their sights on the Patriot League tournament, which will take place on Friday, April 25 - Sunday, April 27 at Army. The conference will announce the other eight seeds later this week.
Army - 5, Boston University - 2
Apr 19, 2014 at Allston, Mass. (Beren Tennis Center)
1. Asika Isoh (ARMY) def. Chanon Varapongsittikul (BU): 6-3, 7-5
2. Sam Lampman (ARMY) def. Jesse Frieder (BU): 6-3, 6-4
3. Stefan Lemire (BU) def. Grant Reichman (ARMY) 7-5, 6-4
4. Alex Van Velzer (ARMY) def. Mario Sandoval (BU): 6-1, 6-0
5. Kyle Barnes (ARMY) def. Jay Leelavanich (BU): 3-6, 7-6(3), 11-9
6. Lucas Bombonatti (BU) def. Austin McCasin (ARMY): 6-1, 6-3
1. Varapongsittikul/Frieder (BU) def. Reichman/Harrison McCormick (ARMY): 8-4
2. Isoh/Van Velzer (ARMY) def. Lemire/Sandoval (BU): 8-1
3. Barnes/McCasin (ARMY) def. Leelavanich / Jake De Vries (BU): 8-7(1)