Terriers Outlast Stony Brook, 99-97, in Quadruple Overtime Thriller

GO TERRIERS Corey Lowe scored 21 of his game-high 33 points in the four overtimes
Corey Lowe scored 21 of his game-high 33 points in the four overtimes

Jan. 19, 2009

Final Stats

BOSTON  - In arguably the most exciting home regular season Boston University men's basketball game in program history, junior Corey Lowe and sophomore John Holland combined for 62 points to lead the Terriers past Stony Brook, 99-97, in quadruple overtime at Case Gymnasium on Monday afternoon. SBU's Bryan Dougher missed a contested jumper at the buzzer to tie the game, allowing the Terriers to walk away with their second-consecutive America East victory to improve to 8-9 and 3-2 in league play, while the Seawolves dropped to 9-9, 1-4 AE.

After attempting only one shot in the first half, the America East player of the game, Lowe, scored 12 points in the second stanza and 21 total in the four overtimes, including seven in the final, to finish with a game-high 33 points. Reminiscent of his coast-to-coast layup at the buzzer to send the home-opener against George Washington to overtime, Lowe drove the length of the court in the second overtime for a layup to tie the game, 76-76, with four seconds remaining.

Never leaving the court for one second in the second-ever quadruple overtime game in the 100 seasons of BU men's basketball, Holland played all 60 minutes of action and finished with a season-high 29 points and seven rebounds. Earlier in the day, Holland was named AE player of the week for the second-consecutive time following his 28-point performance at Binghamton on Saturday. Jake O'Brien also finished in double-figures with 13 points, while Scott Brittain had nine points and nine rebounds.

The Terriers last played in a 4OT game on Jan. 13, 1964, when they fell at in-state rival Holy Cross, 97-95.



The Seawolves had five men score in double-figures, as they used a total of 11 players compared to BU's seven in the game. SBU's AE Player of the Game Christ Martin came off the bench to record 15 of his team-high 26 points after regulation. Tommy Brenton had a strong performance, posting 15 points and 17 rebounds.

Following two clutch made free throws by Matt Wolff to give BU a 56-53 lead with six seconds remaining in regulation, Muhammad El-Amin drilled a 3-pointer at the buzzer from the right wing to give the Terriers their third overtime game of the season.

In the first overtime, BU had a 66-62 lead at 1:42 following Lowe's layup, but Martin hit a trey to cut the deficit to one at 1:18. The Seawolves had the ball back with 40 seconds looking to take the lead. Holland stole it with 29 seconds left, but the Terriers turned it back over to SBU. At six seconds, Brenton grabbed an offensive rebound and was fouled going for the putback. After making the first free throw, he missed the second and Wolff made a desperate half-court shot at the buzzer that just rimmed out of the basket to win the game.

In the second overtime, SBU earned its largest lead of the game at five points, 76-71, with only 1:08 remaining, but Lowe scored the final five points, including a big 3-pointer with 47 seconds left and his coast-to-coast layup to tie the game with four seconds left.

In the first triple-overtime since BU defeated Massachusetts in 1984, neither team could grab more than a two-point lead, the only time coming when Martin hit a jumper to push his team's lead to 81-79. Lowe scored a layup to give the Terriers an 86-85 edge, but following a missed jumper by Martin, Brenton scored a tip-in with 11 seconds remaining to give SBU the lead.

Again, Lowe brought the ball up the court, but this time he drove to the basket and was fouled with one second left. He missed the first free throw but made the second to send the game to the first quadruple overtime in the America East since New Hampshire beat Maine in January 1996.

The Terriers jumped out to a seemingly commanding 96-89 lead with 1:35 remaining, but the Seawolves never let up, eventually cutting down on the deficit to within one, 98-97, with 11 seconds left. Immediately fouled after the inbounds, Lowe hit his first free throw but missed the second, allowing SBU one last chance. Bryan Dougher brought the ball the length of the court, but his quick jumper rimmed out. Both teams scrambled for the ball, as time expired, sending the BU players and fans into celebration.

The two teams entered the first overtime tied 56-56 after 40 minutes of play. In the four overtimes and 20 total minutes of action, BU edged SBU, 43-41, with Lowe and Holland combining for 33 points. The Terriers were 7-of-11 from beyond the arc and 10-of-14 (74.2%) at the charity stripe, while the Seawolves were 15-of-34 (44.1%) from the field compared to BU's 13-of-23 (56.5%). SBU's ability to stay in the game through the  overtimes mainly came from their effort on the boards, as they outrebounded the Terriers, 19-11, while also winning the second-chance points battle, 16-3, to finish ahead 26-18.

In the first half to open the game, Holland hit a trey and later followed with a layup to give BU a 9-5 lead. Demetrius Young scored two straight baskets to ignite a 10-2 run that put SBU ahead, 15-12, at the 8:44 mark. The Terriers responded with an 8-2 run of their own and eventually went into the locker room with a 28-23 lead.

Lowe scored the first four points of the second stanza and was followed by a Jeff Pelage layup to give the Terriers a commanding 11-poiint lead, 34-23, with 15:17 remaining in regulation. The team missed its chances though to extend the lead, and the No. 21 defense in the nation, allowing only 59.1 points per game as of Jan. 15, continued to play tough, allowing SBU to cut the deficit to two on Martin's trey with 11:30.

Lowe responded with his own 3-pointer, but the Seawolves tied the game at 8:19 when Dallis Joyner hit both of his free throws. Dougher put SBU ahead, 50-49, with a trey at 4:04, and neither team would score again until Young hit two free throws to give SBU a 3-point advantage, 52-49, at 2:21. Lowe nailed a 3-pointer and Brittain scored a layup with 21 seconds remaining before the teams exchanged free throws and El-Amin drained his trey at the buzzer to send the game into overtime.

At the end, BU finished 32-of-68 at 47.1 percent, while SBU managed 36.7% off 33-of-90 attempts. The Seawolves recorded 12 steals and enticed the Terriers into 19 turnovers, while winning the rebound margin, 52-46. BU also hit 23-of-31 attempts (74.2%) from the charity stripe, and SBU finished 20-of-25 (80.0%). Surprisingly, only one player, Brittain, fouled out in the game, and he left with 1:22 left in the third overtime.

Following the exhaustive effort, the Terriers will try to rest and regroup, as they host UMBC on Thursday (Jan. 22) at The Roof with a 7 p.m. tip-off.

Nickerson Turns 100

Braves/Nickerson Field celebrates its 100th anniversary.


Patriot League Network

Find out how to watch your Terriers compete at home and on the road in the Patriot League!


Student-Athlete of the Week

Connolly batted .500 to help lead softball to PL title.